Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why I'm sticking with Wii for Active 2.0

Just some thoughts on the new Active 2.0 coming out. Some are criticizing EA Sports for still needing a hand held controller for the Wii while not needing it for PS3 or Xbox 360. I am going to stick with the Wii system for several reasons.
A simple one is that I only have one game console, Wii, and don't want to spend the money on another console, but it goes further than that. EA Sports now has several years of experience refining the Active routines on the Wii system. We all remember the problems we had on EA Sports Active Personal Trainer and how much better the movements registered on More Workouts. I'm thinking they should have it down and it will be even better on Active 2.0. I'm afraid they will have some growing pains on PS3 and Xbox 360 and it may need some tweeking. Can you imagine if they don't have it quite right with the Kinect camera sensing system and trying to fudge it into working? The Kinect is a new system by itself and I'm not convinced it will be problem free.
The main criticizm I see of needing the hand held remote on Wii is that you can't use dumbells while holding the remote. I actually prefer the bands now. I have spent a small fortune in getting the correct exercise bands and have found that Therabands in the different strengths do the job for me. You can get these things so strong that you can't even get through one rep, so the weight range is endless. I have different colors for overhead lifts vs curls, vs flys, etc. I have also found articles that show that the "active" resistance to the resistance bands is more beneficial than dead weights.
I''m looking forward to the cordless aspect and am really jazzed about the heart rate monitor. I plan on getting Active 2.0 ond also the NFL Training Camp (which is only available for the Wii)
Anyone else have any thoughts?? Let's discus!!
|||I'm sticking with Wii for most of the same reasons. I have the Your Shape program that uses the camera and it is a disaster. Most of the time it doesn't pick up you movements so the trainer keeps yelling "arms, arms" at you. It also seems to need a white room with you all dressed in black head to foot to be able to detect your movements. If I hadn't gotten it for free I would really have been upset with the cost of it. I hope the camera technology has really improved or there's going to be a lot of disappointed people out there.|||I'm also sticking with the wii for mostly the same reasons....
They should have that system perfected for detecting movements
It's the only system I have and don't plan to buy a new one
I have other Wii games that I enjoy like Walk It Out and Wii Fit Plus
I'm not sure about the NFL game though. I don't like the idea in general of having to buy the heart monitor, etc twice - once with EASA 2 and again with the NFL game. I would also like to see more details of what is going to be in EASA 2 for us Wii users .... not the heart monitor, wireless, and on line sharing, but more details on the game. The revamped EA Spots Active web page gives some info, but I would like more details. Hopefully, they will add some screen shots, etc to the page for the Wii. It sounds like they're bringing back the basketball from the first game - assuming an improved version, and adding mountain biking .... sounds good.
I'm ready for some new stuff |||I am also sticking with the wii for the same reasons already stated. As well as I have many more wii things I enjoy doing.
I also have several bands at different strengths and they work great!
I have to agree on the camera too. I have Your Shape and I finally muted her as I could not take "Your Arm" one one time. I also have not use it lately because of the same reason. Its probably time to trade it in. So I bet there will be many complaints on this.
@35047171 My fitness coach is pretty much the same thing if you want to trade in your copy of Your shape. Just make sure to get the first one not the second as the 2nd one is horrible.
I would like the football one and I hate football. But it looks really good. But I will only buy it if I can buy it with out the accessories. Is a waste to me to have 2 sets.
I am really looking forward to 2.0 version a lot.|||


Just some thoughts on the new Active 2.0 coming out. Some are criticizing EA Sports for still needing a hand held controller for the Wii while not needing it for PS3 or Xbox 360. I am going to stick with the Wii system for several reasons.
A simple one is that I only have one game console, Wii, and don't want to spend the money on another console, but it goes further than that. EA Sports now has several years of experience refining the Active routines on the Wii system. We all remember the problems we had on EA Sports Active Personal Trainer and how much better the movements registered on More Workouts. I'm thinking they should have it down and it will be even better on Active 2.0. I'm afraid they will have some growing pains on PS3 and Xbox 360 and it may need some tweeking. Can you imagine if they don't have it quite right with the Kinect camera sensing system and trying to fudge it into working? The Kinect is a new system by itself and I'm not convinced it will be problem free.
The main criticizm I see of needing the hand held remote on Wii is that you can't use dumbells while holding the remote. I actually prefer the bands now. I have spent a small fortune in getting the correct exercise bands and have found that Therabands in the different strengths do the job for me. You can get these things so strong that you can't even get through one rep, so the weight range is endless. I have different colors for overhead lifts vs curls, vs flys, etc. I have also found articles that show that the "active" resistance to the resistance bands is more beneficial than dead weights.
I''m looking forward to the cordless aspect and am really jazzed about the heart rate monitor. I plan on getting Active 2.0 ond also the NFL Training Camp (which is only available for the Wii)
Anyone else have any thoughts?? Let's discus!!


Ok, I read your post and I have a question for you and the others that are sticking with the wii version. I own a wii, and I also own an Xbox360. I have also already pre-ordered and paid off the Kinect accessory so I will be getting it regardless as it will be great fun for the kids and as a family device.
I read that you have a concern that the Kinect might have bugs to start off with. This is a factor of course, but it sounds like a lot of your decision is based on the fact that you already own the wii and dont have a Kinect or a 360 for that matter. Im wondering, considering my situation, if Im better off sticking with the tried and true wii version or if I should get the Kinect version. I have to admit that the idea of the no controller at all potential has peaked my interest quite a lot. But Im also not adverse to the wii mote since Ive become adept with it. I dont want to have to buy two versions of the game if the Kinect version is a flop. It does look to function quite good in the videos online however.
Anyhow, I do understand the situation most of you are in, and given those circumstances I would definitely agree with you all. But what would you all do if you were me?|||



Anyhow, I do understand the situation most of you are in, and given those circumstances I would definitely agree with you all. But what would you all do if you were me?

That's a tough one. I think if I had the kinect camera anyways I would certainly want to try it out on Active 2.0. Hopefully it will workout fine. I haven't been particularly impressed With EA Sports testing, seeing how many bugs got through the first two versions of EA Sports Active.
Of course there is no guarantee of bug free operation on the Wii system either!
Are you currently using EA Sports Active...or are you waiting for 2.0?|||Nope, I use The Biggest Loser, My Fitness Coach and Wii Fit. Im looking to get Active 2 for one of these systems this time around. I always wanted Active but just never got it due to the price tag and I already had Wii Fit and My Fitness Coach. Definitely will get it when 2.0 comes out though.
It would be nice to use the scale with the wii system though, that isnt available with xbox. Is there anything else anyone can think of other then the lack of a scale that might be factors in the decision?|||pseudohippy -
I agree with Ken - - it's a tough one.
I think if I had two systems and had other packages to use .... I would consider waiting a couple weeks after Nov 16th and reading some USER reviews. Some of the user reviews on games on Amazon.com are pretty complete and I have found them useful. (You may have other sites you prefer.) I think seeing what others say after they have the game may help you decide which version to go with.
It would be hard to wait the additional time, but I think it is what I would do .... my opinion only
|||Hey Everyone - just wanted to jump in here to let you know that for the Wii version of EA SPORTS Active 2, you'll need the Wii remote for any exercise that only uses one arm at a time, for everything else you won’t need it. Basically that means that you won't need it for most exercises. You should be able to be hands free on the Wii - the same as you'll be on PS3 and Kinect.
The Wii version is great. As are the others - but if you are happy with the Wii version, then totally stick with it.
I hope that helps!|||


I hope that helps!

It does help, but at the same time it doesnt help lol. Here you come in and point out good facts toward me getting the Wii version just after I all but decide on the Kinect version. I gotta admit part of my leaning toward the Kinect version isnt because its the smart thing to do but solely because Ill have a brand new Kinect around the same time regardless and I kinda want something for myself for the Kinect. All the other Kinect games look like fun but not as much for me. So, Im still in a quandary and kinda leaning back toward the Wii side now.|||We are considering getting the one for the xbox360. We have a wii, ps3, and an xbox. We are planning on getting the kinetic for the xbox first and then later the move for the ps3. So the equipment is not a factor for us, we have all 3 systems already and plan on getting the accessories regardless of which EA 2.0 I get.
My thoughts for it is that I found using the remotes to be very annoying. Sure you could use bands instead of weights, but I always found it awkward. Also with the set ups, it is easier to download (theoretical) upgrades/expansions for the ps3 and xbox while I am not sure if that is even possible to do for the wii. I know that I've been wanting to get DDR for xbox to be able to just download new songs and whatnot, but could not justify it when I already had a couple dvds for the wii. I also like the user interaction with the xbox over the wii. Not sure how the ps3 fits in there because I havent played it much, I tend to use it just as a dvd player while I have explored the xbox a bit more.
It will be interesting to see what all becomes available.
|||I'm somewhat relieves they've gotten rid of the nunchuck component which was always a bit of a kludge and the leg strap kept slipping off. It's a bit of a shame they didn't just go full non-controller with the Wii. You're already making 3 sensors for the PS3, you could have done the same for the Wii. Plus they both run off of Bluetooth so theoretically they'd basically be the same thing for 2 platforms. I guess it does make sense from a cost perspective since everyone already has the wiimote, so why not use it as a sensor.
Since the cost is identical, I'm somewhat leaning towards the PS3 version. Though the only thing is it's a pain to work out in the tv room with all the junk everywhere! I could lug the PS3 to my workout area, but then I'd be using my old non-HD tv. Choices choices |||Definately sticking with my Wii. I love my balance board! I use it to weigh myself (hope you can still do this with the EASA2) and it adds another dimension to my workouts. Additionally, I use a cordless nunchuck so I never had to fiddle with cords while exercising. I'm loyal to Wii because it is the pioneer format for active gaming and has more experience with troubleshooting the kinks.
Does anyone know about balance board options for EASA2? Balance has always been a problem for me so I really hope EASA keeps this component.|||Roxyann -
My understanding is that YES, you can weigh yourself on the balance board with the Wii version of EASA 2.
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment