Friday, April 27, 2012

30-Day Challenge or pre-built workouts...

Hello, so far the whole family is loving our Active. My question is this... I haven't been active for a long time, and I am in the morbidly obese category (330+ lbs). I started out on the 30-day challenge, and I've found that even the low intensity setting leaves me so tired/sore that I have to add extra rest days in to even be able to start the next days workout. Would it be better for me to stick to the 'easy' custom/pre-made workouts prior to re-starting the 30-day challenge? Thanks in advance.|||Look at the exercises that are leaving you too tired/too sore. You can x those out before starting the workout for your 30-day challenge, and that would be my suggestion. Because then you still get to feel the accomplishment of completing the 30-day challenge, and a great deal of getting fit and healthy is psychological!
Also, add walking to your daily workout routine, as walking is a great full-body workout. I lost 50 pounds in 2007 by doing walking alone! I gained some of it back in 2008, but I'm down 11 lbs from the 229 that I started at on May 10th.
At my peak, I was around 250 pounds, and I'm now down to 218. When I started working out, there were a lot of things that I just could not do. But by gradually working up to things, I'm able to do a LOT more. Now, I'm doing the 30-day challenge on medium intensity, and seriously considering moving it up to hard intensity because I don't feel pushed enough! Even as the 30-day challenge progresses, I'm able to do more and more, and various exercises get easier and easier for me. For instance, the running was so hard for me to do when I first started. I couldn't get through a short run, let alone the long runs. But now, I can do a long run non-stop! And I just got the game May 21st, so the improvement is fast!|||I agree, you'll be surprised at how quickly you gain stamina with the 30 Day Challenge. Go nice and slow and you'll get stronger and stronger. And some extra walking will definetly help - listen to music while you walk, makes time fly by faster and helps you keep rhythm to your steps.
Congrats on starting on your journey to health - from a formerly obese person, I promis you that it's worth it in every way!|||I too am Obese and find some of th exersises a chalenge- i do check some off espeailly the ones that i have to jump. (its too painful to have my oversized stomach lift and fall and hit my body) but i push through- i am finding that it is my lower back that is taking the beating- I have create a few of my own workouts too and they are fun. do what you can- But I have to say-i LOVE ACTIVE.|||I was in the 330+ (morbidly obese) category last year at about this time. That much weight does making following exercise programs more challenging, but back pain and not wanting to be "morbid" when I have a children helped drive me forward. Definitely pay attention to what you're eating--statistically, people who keep food journals lose more weight. Also, consider blogging, like Gwynne or I. It helps me "be good" knowing that others are watching, and it also helps to know others are going through the sane things (and not dying). Good luck! You can do it.
|||Wow! I think you definitely need to just hang in there. You seem like you're so on the right track! Weight has such an effect on body response and stamina. I'm too thin (BMI is 15) and want to use both Wii Fit and Wii Active to build muscle. And we're really both on the same side of the coin weight-wise. I see the issue as controlling it (weight) instead of it controlling you (me). Anyway, because I don't have enough mass to have decent strength, I tire so easily. I didn't intend to ever get like this (do any of us?) but I know for a fact that if I don't eat enough food, and I don't exercise, that my body mass is going to do nothing but head south. My efforts just stink sometimes, but it's been noted psychologically that often times action precedes thought. It's hard to think yourself healthy. But if you keep doing the action, your thoughts will catch up. You'll stop believing you're tired, out of shape, unable to finish etc (I'm talking to myself as much as you). One thing that helps me is to just not weigh myself for 8 or 10 days at a time. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 46, and growing up in the 70's put a permanent "numbers fixation" in my brain. No matter how thin you get, you just can't stand to see the numbers go up. And it really means NOTHING. If you would look at a pound of fat and a pound of muscle, the muscle takes up about 50% less space. So if you have 20 pounds of fat, it's going to look twice as big as 20 pounds of muscle. (And I am going by memory for the exact mass size comparison - it's something I heard in the past.) Go by how clothes fit. Are your "fat" clothes getting looser? (And by fat clothes, I am not implying you're fat; I think we all have fat clothes or eating clothes or skinny clothes etc) If they're fitting better, to me that's a win. Just hang in there and I'll bet within the 30 days, you'll find a totally different world opening up. Give it another 30 and you're talking life style change! Good luck to you. I really found your post inspiring and thank you for sharing.|||Blogging keeps me accountable! I have hundreds of readers on my blog, and I have listeners on my Blog Talk Radio show, and I feel like I have to keep pushing myself to be an inspiration to them! And I'm LOVING it, and LOVING my results!
I'm down 13 pounds in the last 4 weeks alone.
And since starting to exercise daily in February, I'm happier now than I have ever been in my entire life. I've got 86 pounds to go before I hit my goal of 130, but I'm happy with where I am right now, today. Because I'm moving forward.
When I started working out, there were things that I just could not do. Period. My body was just not able to do it. So I'd skip those things for a week. Whether it was Wii Fit, My Fitness Coach, a workout DVD or whatever, I'd just skip that exercise for a week. If it came up during that week, I'd continue to skip it. Then the next week, I'd try it again. And I'd keep doing that until I was able to do the exercise.
And I notice a big difference. I can do a whole lot more now. Heck, when I started exercising, the short basic run on Wii Fit KILLED me. I could not sustain any sort of pace, and would often have to pause to catch my breath. Now, thanks to Active forcing me to run on every workout, I can finish the short basic run on Wii Fit without running out of breath at all! I can do the long run on Active non-stop, and that's a BIG improvement from three weeks ago when I got the game!
You will improve, you will get better, you will lose weight, and as you lose weight, it will get easier. Do what you can do now. Don't let your limitations keep you from doing something!|||Thank you everyone for your words of advice and encouragement! I am loving the Active so far, and will definitely take the advice of checking off some of the workouts that are causing my soreness. I look forward to completing the 30 day challenge and continuing forward with a more active lifestyle. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment